The University of Navarra is a leading research university, consistently ranked among the top universities in Spain. It is a private university founded in 1952 by St. Josemaría Escrivá and has campuses in Pamplona, San Sebastián, Barcelona and Madrid.
As part of its strategic development, the Institute of Data Science and Artificial Intelligence (DATAI) is seeking applications from outstanding researchers and leaders with an excellent and ongoing track record in Data Science and Artificial Intelligence to fill a Senior Researcher position (Principal Investigator, PI). The position is set for a renewable period of 5-years. DATAI has the ambition to broaden and deepen its areas so candidates engaged in research which complements the existing areas, will be considered favourably. The candidate would work in Pamplona.
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to: autonomous systems, machine learning, statistical methods, decision making in the presence of uncertainty, ethics and AI, algorithmic bias, explainable and trusted AI, AI accountability and machine learning for Vision and Natural Language Processing.
Applicants must have a PhD, an excellent publication and funding record, and the ability to attract research funding. It is essential that applicants have the enthusiasm and commitment required to contribute to the further development of the research standing of the DATAI, and to make a full contribution its activities.
1) Key responsibilities
- Start a new line of research in the field of Data Science and Artificial Intelligence. The position considers funding to start a new research group.
- Supervise PhD students.
- Provide research and academic leadership and enhance the research profile of DATAI, through maintaining a consistent high-level output of publications and presentations in conferences and workshops of world-class quality.
- Engage actively and regularly in the pursuit of research funding through grant applications to Research Councils and other research funding bodies.
- Engage, when appropriate, in the dissemination of advanced research through knowledge transfer, outreach, continuing professional development, etc.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
- PhD in Data Science, Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, Statistics or related field. The candidate must have obtained the PhD between the 31st of December 2006 and the 31st of December 2017.
- At least 24 months of postdoctoral stay.
- Outstanding research record in Data Science and Artificial Intelligence as evidenced by sustained publications in high quality journals and conferences.
- Established record of acquiring research grants/funding.
- Ability to attract and develop talented researchers into the field.
- Experience with interacting with Industry.
3) Job and Application Process
- Senior Researcher (Principal Investigator)
- Cover Letter with a statement of purpose to work at the University of Navarra (about 1 page).
- CV with updated list of publications and grants awarded.
- Research memory with the principal line of research of the candidate and most relevant contributions to the field (2-3 pages).
- Selection of candidates based on CV and fit to the job.
- Round of online interviews.
- Fly-out interview to DATAI.