The UCAM-SENS unit is recruiting six (6) PhD students
The UCAM-SENS is a scientific unit that strives for the true digital transformation of key domains such as Health, Sport, Food and the Environment by using advanced (bio)chemical sensing based on electrochemistry and imaging principles. The UCAM-SENS is led by two well-recognized worldwide investigators, Prof. Maria Cuartero (ERC Fellow) and Prof. Gaston Crespo, who after an extensive academic career in Switzerland and Sweden of ten years, set this unique research and educational environment at the UCAM.
The PhD student candidates must have:
- Completed a M.Sc. degree in Chemistry or Engineering Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Nanotechnology, or related fields.
- Demonstrated experience in (bio)chemical sensors, electrochemistry, analytical chemistry, wearable and microneedle devices, single cell detection and conducting polymers is very welcome. Attach publications and/or master thesis related to the above experience.
- Advanced English level (B/6). Attach your English certification.
What we offer
- The possibility to obtain a Ph.D. degree (3-4 years) in a dynamic and international research environment, the UCAM-SENS.
- A workplace divided in small clusters supervised by a senior researcher.
- Monthly salary according to PhD student salary agreement in the UCAM.
- Work and study in the UCAM, which is in Murcia, the capital city of the Southeastern region of Spain where Mediterranean weather joins the natural beauty of the beaches of Costa Cálida with the mountains and fields of the Huerta de Europa. The University has a special environment, both culturally and historically as its main campus is centered around the 18th century Jerónimos Monastery (National Monument) with more than 20,000 students and around 1,000 teaching staff.
- Help to be relocated and settled in Murcia and at UCAM.
- Excellent scientific and human environment.
- The “PhD project” is to be personalized and adjusted according to the individual skills and desired objectives. It is desired to covered fundamental aspects of chemical sensing and then applications related to Health, Sports, Food and the Environment, among others.
- Close supervision by Prof. Cuartero (ERC Fellow) and Prof. Crespo who are authorities in the field with more than 200 papers (85% in Q1 and 80% D1), 5 international patents, and several companies. The supervision in UCAM-SENS is a bi-directional process based on motivation, engagement, learning and discovering, respect, promoting the formulation of new scientific research questions, and assisting to develop/improve interpersonal skills.
Apply for the position and admission through the UCAM recruitment system. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement. Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge (maximum 2 pages long). Details of the bachelor and master’s degree title, year, and university.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies in the UCAM-SENS, about what your academic and personal interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals (maximum 2 pages long).
- Copies of diplomas and grades from previous university studies and certificates of fulfilled language requirements (see above). Translations into English or Spanish if the original document is not issued in one of these languages.
- Representative publications or technical reports: For large documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
- Reference letters from previous supervisors and/or teachers.