The Centro Nacional de Investigadores Cardiovasculares (CNIC: the Spanish nacional cardiovascular research center) is a public foundation established by the Spanish Ministry of Health and Consumer Affairs through the Carlos III Institute of Health. The Center´s innovative financing structure includes a significant contribution from the private sector.
The CNIC is dedicated to excellence in cardiovascular research and to translating new knowledge into real improvements in clinical practice. The Center is located in a recently constructed building in the center of Madrid. The building has a total floor space of 23.000 m2 and is equipped with the latest scientific equipment and research-support infrastructure.
The CNIC has a PhD student position available for a Computational Biologist to develop his/her thesis within the EU Initial Training Network FP7-PEOPLE-2013-ITN CardioNext, a highly multidisciplinary, intersectoral and competitive training programme in cardiovascular research.
Project: Modelling the cellular response in the infarcted heart by high resolution microscopy and imaging analysis
- Applicant must have a Master Degree in Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Biology, or related disciplines. Programming experience in MatLab and microscopy image analysis will be valued. Good English communication skills are mandatory.
- Candidates must be in the first four years (full-time equivalent) of their research careers and have not yet been awarded a doctoral degree. In addition, must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies) in Spain for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the recruitment date.
- A 3-year contract to undertake a PhD in biomedicine
- A competitive salary (33,000 - 37,000 € per annum)
- Integration in a European network of scientific excellence
- Stays in private companies and partner academic labs
- Extensive training in complementary skills
- Access to state-of-the-art infrastructures
- Starting date: October-December 2013.
Send CV (including academic record) and a cover letter addressing your qualifications as they pertain to this position, and contact information of three referees to email@example.com before July 31, 2013.
The CNIC treats all applicants and employees equally irrespective of nationality, ethnic origin, gender, marital or parental status, sexual orientation, creed, disability, age or political belief. Confidentiality is guaranteed throughout the selection process and all current regulations relating to the protection of personal data will be strictly adhered to